Crime risk has a direct correlation to the nature of the premises.
- Property open to the public operates at greater crime risk.
- Cash-based late-night businesses have greater crime risk.
- Nature of the premises may foresee the level of crime risk.
Podcast Time Stamps:
[01:40] – Business owners are reluctant to change the way they operate.
[01:58] – Quick-fixes are like Bandaids that need to be reapplied often.
[03:00] – Major risk factor is the Nature of the Premises.
[03:37] – Examples of different business model affect on crime.
[04:56] – Each business type attracts a different type of customer.
[05:25] – Restaurant wants to add entertainment and liquor license.
[06:55] – Banks offer different level of risk after hours at ATMs.
[07:50] – Hotels lease out ballrooms for parties increases assault risk
[08:27] – Convenience store check-cashing increases robbery risk.
[08:52] – Parking lot use and risk varies through course of the day.
[09:40] – Expected property use versus actual use.
[10:20] – Tweaking the nature of the premises and business.
[11:10] – Most apartment crime risk can be fixed in the office.
[12:05] – Summary of risk factors and an action plan.
[13:00] – Failure to correct nature of the premises causes liability.
Crime Risk Factors
There are three primary crime risk factors that should be considered when designing a security plan for a business open to the public.
- Nature of the premises.
- Crime Demographics.
The property owner and business operator have the most control over the nature of the premises than any other risk factor.
More on Crime Risk Assessment
- Read a good premises liability book written by Chris McGoey.
- crime foreseeability evaluation.
- adequacy of security assessments.
- working as a security expert witness.
- A Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation – Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases
- Crime School content is influenced by your feedback so contribute ideas for future discussion.
- I appreciate those who share Crime School content on social media so others might benefit.
- Help Crime School be discovered by leaving a 5-Star Rating & Review in iTunes.
- Thank you for participating in Crime School and for doing your part in making places safe.