Travel security plan will make you safer while abroad.
- Travel security plan anticipates and reduces risk of loss or harm.
- Travel security plan is an emergency document retrieval system.
- Travel security plan is home and vehicle protection while abroad.
- Travel security plan is packing smart for international travel.
- Travel security plan is control over luggage and documents.
- Travel security plan is health management for common ailments.
Podcast Time Stamps:
[01:30] – International travel requires research and planning.
[02:00] – American travel company provides US point of contact.
[02:50] – Select an established itinerary in risky locations.
[03:40] – United States State Department travel warnings.
[04:25] – Pre-pay to reduce need to carry excess cash.
[04:58] – Emergency document retrieval plan.
[06:56] – What if you lose all your luggage and passport?
[08:50] – Advantage of local tour company in emergency.
[09:35] – How to recover critical documents and credit card.
[10:30] – Place emergency documents in cloud storage.
[12:20] – Travel security plan for home and car protection.
[14:35] – Make home appear occupied while abroad.
[16:20] – Pack smart and travel light internationally.
[18:10] – Leave electronic devices at home…Unplug.
[19:40] – Carry duplicate copies of critical documents.
[22:20] – Divide cash between travelers and pockets.
[21:25] – Carry prescription medication in original bottles.
[23:05] – Health management is a priority for international travel.
[25:30] – Create multiple back-up and contingency plans.
Travel security plan to be safe at your destination
- Research your international travel destination fully.
- Use a reliable US travel company that communicates well.
- Pick an established itinerary to eliminate surprises.
- Prepay most travel expenses to reduce need to carry cash.
- Hire local guides to arrange safe lodging and clean restaurants.
- Use local guides to handle language translations, and transactions.
- Check US State Department website for international travel warnings.
- Obtain critical address and phone number contacts at home and abroad.
- Identify emergency medical treatment centers in major cities.
- Research availability for emergency medical evacuation service.
Travel security plan for emergency document retrieval
- Prepare an emergency contact list at home and at each destination.
- Prepare a travel schedule itinerary and hotel contact list.
- Scan all critical travel documents and upload to cloud storage.
- Copy credit cards front and back.
- Copy original medicine prescriptions.
- Copy eye-glass lens prescription.
- Pre-authorize expense for emergency home repairs.
- Provide house and car keys to capable guardian.
- Provide a list of instructions in case of accident or death.
Provide copy of a durable power of attorney for medical care.
- Provide a copy of a will and estate executor contact info.
- Set up a password protected cloud storage for document retrieval.
Travel security plan for home protection
- Give a key to a neighbor or house sitter.
- Home should look occupied during day and night.
- Maintain routines of occupancy cues.
- Occasionally park a car in the driveway.
- Do not stop newspaper or mail service.
- Continue to put out garbage for pick up.
- Continue yard service or snow removal.
- Ask neighbor to pick up newspaper, mail or doorknob trash.
- Don’t advertise on social media that you are abroad.
Travel security plan for airport transportation
- Get a ride to the airport. You’ll be too tired to drive.
- Your car at home means, you’re home, to burglars.
- Don’t leave your parking lot entry ticket in the vehicle.
- Watch your luggage on/off the parking lot shuttle bus.
- Don’t travel abroad with car keys or house keys.
- You may have to fly home to an alternate airport.
Travel security plan includes packing smart
- Pack Light. Don’t be a fashion statement to strangers.
- Don’t dress flashy or out of character to the country.
- Dress to blend in. Buy local clothing if needed.
- Don’t wear expensive clothes or flashy jewelry.
- Don’t openly display religious or political jewelry.
- If possible carry your luggage on to the airplane.
- Carry one small suitcase and one tote-bag or backpack.
- Time to unplug and leave electronic toys at home.
- Don’t attract attention with camera & video equipment.
- Don’t wear brand-new white sneakers (American giveaway).
- Most every county worldwide has cell phone technology.
- Clean out your wallet – Remove unnecessary items.
- Minimize credit cards and amount of cash on hand.
- Bring extra copies of critical travel documents.
- Carry your own passport or a copy at all times.
- Divide cash between travelers and in different pockets.
Travel security plan for health management
- Bring a first-aid supplies to treat common travel ailments.
- Most common are food poisoning or water-borne intestinal illness.
- Beware of eating uncooked salad and unwashed fruit.
- Also common are regional flu and colds due to close contact with others.
- Visit your doctor for updates on vaccines and special prescriptions.
- Keep medicine and herbal remedies in the original containers.
- Get plenty of sleep and stay well-hydrated to avoid getting sick.
- Sleep and water will help keep your immune system healthy.
- Wash hands frequently and use hand-sanitizer to kill germs.
- Use saline nasal spray to reduce bacteria in your sinus cavity.
- Wear good shoes to prevent trip/fall injury and sun protection.
- Limit alcohol use and late-night social encounters with locals.
- Avoid disputes and hostile political encounters possible.
- Don’t engage in risky behavior or escalate to physical altercation.
Resources Mentioned in this Episode
- United States State Department travel warnings & alerts.
- 10 Reasons Why Burglars Choose Your Home – Episode – 002.
- Home Security Burglary Robbery Safe Room – Episode – 005.
- Crime School content is influenced by your feedback so contribute ideas for future discussion.
- I appreciate those who share Crime School content on social media so others might benefit.
- Help Crime School be discovered by leaving a 5-Star Rating & Review in iTunes.
- Thank you for participating in Crime School and for doing your part in making places safe.