Home Invasion robbery can strike anyone including American Idol star Scotty McCreery.
- There was a knock on the apartment door at 2:00 am.
- The door was opened and three heavily-armed robbers barged in.
- Robbers took wallets, phones, and electronics totaling $1,600.
- America’s Morning Show host Blair Garner called about the May 2014 home invasion robbery of country singer Scotty McCreery.
Home Invasion Robbery
Country music star Scotty McCreery won the 10th season of American Idol in 2011. At the time of this incident, McCreery was a 20-years old and a student at Raleigh’s North Carolina State University.
According to police, McCreery said he and his friends bought hamburgers and returned to the apartment to eat and watch the movie, Gladiator. Just as the movie was getting good there was a knock on the apartment door about 2:00 am.
One of the guys who lived in the apartment figured it was just a neighbor. He looked through the peep-hole in the door. He only saw one guy standing outside the door who wasn’t wearing a mask or gloves, so in his mind, he didn’t look suspicious.
Unbeknownst to them, there were three other men hiding out of view of the peep-hole. When McCreery’s friend opened the door they barged in with their guns waving.
The first guy in the room had an assault rifle, and he put the muzzle right against the sternum of the guy who opened the door.
The home invasion robber who seemed to be in charge put a pistol to McCreery’s head and another robber pointed a pistol at another guy’s head. “It definitely puts your life in perspective when you’re staring down the barrel of a pistol”, McCreery said.
The home invasion robbers took wallets, cash, phones, and electronics totaling $1,600.
The home invasion robbers made the five students lay face-down on the floor and count to 100 before getting up. Fortunately, No one was hurt.
McCreery Home Invasion Follow-up
Only one 19-year old home invasion robbery suspect Mikkail Jamal Shaw turned himself in and was arrested.
Do you think McCreery was recognized by the robbers at the restaurant and then followed back to the apartment?
- Witnesses reported that the home invasion robbers ran up the stairs directly to that apartment so it seems likely that it was a targeted home invasion robbery.
- Sometimes home invasion robbers select the victim for who they are, what they’re wearing, or what car they’re driving rather than the location where they live.
Lessons about Home Invasion Robbery
- A group of young male students can feel invincible and not worry about home security
- A young celebrity, like McCreery, must be concerned about being recognized
- McCreery must know who is on the other side of a locked door before opening it
- It’s 2:00am. You must consider the time of day as a safety factor
- With guns are pointed at your head it’s not the time to be heroic, but keep thinking about options for defense
- I think colleges should provide personal security awareness orientation for all new students
- I think colleges should offer basic self-defense classes on the curriculum
Things mentioned in this episode
America’s Morning Show with Blair Garner
Crime Doctor.com – Home Invasion article by Chris McGoey
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the book written by Crime School host Chris McGoey.
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation.
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases.
WANTED: Show Guests with Crime Stories
Are you a property crime victim or violent crime survivor?
- Do you have a business with crime problems to solve?
- Do you have crime or loss prevention programs to share?
- Do you have crime prevention products to review?
- Contact — Chris with your ideas for a show.
- Crime School topics are influenced by your input and scenarios.
- We encourage sharing Crime School content on social media.
- Help Crime School grow with a 5-Star Rating & Review in iTunes.
- Thank you for doing your part in making places safe.