Loss Prevention Agents are a surprise to shoplifters when caught.
- Shoplifters feel that their theft was undetected.
- Shoplifters thought they were careful not to be spotted.
- Shoplifters saw no one following before exiting a store.
- Shoplifters are shocked when loss prevention agents detain them.
Podcast Time Stamps
[00:39] – Shoplifters are surprised when caught.
[00:55] – The high cost of shoplifting.
[03:00] – Loss Prevention Agents Focus on Shoplifting.
[03:30] – Loss Prevention Agents have Special Training.
[03:56] – LP Agents Know their Store Inventory.
[04:45] – LP Agents Study Shopper Behavior.
[06:00] – Loss Prevention Agents Practice Profiling.
[07:15] – Loss Prevention Agents use Technology.
[08:30] – Loss Prevention Work as a Team.
[09:30] – Loss Prevention Train to Detain & Arres.t
[10:40] – Loss Prevention Agents Document the Crime.
[11:25] – Loss Prevention Agents Facilitate Prosecution
[12:48] – Footnote: 27th Annual Retail Theft Survey.
Retail stores do not want to be in the business of apprehending shoplifters. It is an unfortunate business reality and retailers have now declared war on shoplifting by dispatching an army of loss prevention agents to combat theft of inventory and fraud losses.
- Shoplifting losses are a staggering $15-billion dollars every year.
- Shoplifting costs millions in LP Agent payroll and equipment.
- Shoplifting is a profit killer that must be controlled.
- Shoplifting is a major factor in retail store failure.
- Shoplifting causes prices of all items to rise.
- Shoplifting losses contributes to lost jobs.
10 Things Loss Prevention Agents Want Shoplifters to Know:
01 – Loss Prevention Agents Focus on Shoplifters
Their primarily job function is to prevent retail inventory loss. So they are focused on you and will detect, deter, or apprehend you to recover the stolen merchandise.
02 – Loss Prevention Agents have Special Training
It takes special training, dedication, and plenty of on-the-job-experience to become good at detecting shoplifters. The best ones know from experience most of the techniques used by shoplifters and they can spot the behavior even before the theft occurs.
03 – Loss Prevention Agents Know their Store
Shoplifters are at a disadvantage because a good LP agent has spent thousands of hours roaming the sales floor. They know all the hot spots and the best angles for surveillance. Frequent shoplifters are shocked when they attempt to steal in the wrong store, at the wrong, time, and come up against professional loss prevention agents.
04 – Loss Prevention Agents Study Shopper Behavior
After thousands of hours, they become experts at monitoring shopper behaviour. A shoplifter if often detected because they don’t act like a shopper and are quickly identified as a likely shoplift suspect.
05 – Loss Prevention Agents Practice Profiling
Does that surprise you? Not illegal profiling of a protected class, but rather profiling a location within a store, certain behavior, certain techniques and mannerisms that are outside the norm for honest shoppers. Shoplifters often have a distinctive behavioral profile that can be quickly spotted soon after they enter a retail store.
06 – Loss Prevention Agents use Technology
Most stores these days have surveillance cameras to track and record the behavior of shoplifters. Shoplifters don’t know if someone is watching from a distance possibly using multiple cameras, high-powered binoculars, and recording your criminal acts. LP agents also use communication tools to report your movements and prepare a reception for you when you exit.
07 – Loss Prevention Agents Work as a Team
It’s hard to tell who the undercover loss prevention agents are anymore. The best ones seem invisible on the sales floor and don’t seem concerned about your shoplifting activity. Most store staff work in teams to detect, deter, and detain shoplifters.
08 – Loss Prevention Agents Train to Detain & Arrest
Training in the legal aspects of making a shoplifter detention or arrest is necessary to protect the retailer from liability. They have studied and practiced methods of shoplifter detention and arrest where you have not. LP agents are prepared to use reasonable force, if necessary, including handcuffing you.
09 – Loss Prevention Agents Document the Crime
Detaining you and accusing you of retail theft is serious business. All observations about your shoplifting behavior will be documented in a report and supported by physical evidence of your crime. Most shoplifters plead guilty because of the overwhelming amount of evidence.
10 – Loss Prevention Agents may Recover, Release or Prosecute
A merchant has the option to detain and recover their stolen merchandise and then release you. Store policy may dictate that the police be called to process you through the criminal justice system. Depending on which state you are in, a merchant may make a demand for payment of damages, much like a fine, to reimburse the store for some the expense caused by you.
- The 27th Annual Retail Theft Survey generated by the University of Florida was quoted.
- This list was created from working with professional retail loss prevention agents.
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the book written by Crime School host Chris McGoey.
- Security Expert’s Guide to Premises Liability Litigation.
- Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases.
WANTED: Show Guests with Crime Stories
Are you a property crime victim or violent crime survivor?
- Do you have a business with crime problems to solve?
- Do you have crime or loss prevention programs to share?
- Do you have crime prevention products to review?
- Contact — Chris with your ideas for a show.
- Crime School topics are influenced by your input and scenarios.
- We encourage sharing Crime School content on social media.
- Help Crime School grow with a 5-Star Rating & Review in iTunes.
- Thank you for doing your part in making places safe.