Restaurant Robbery Prevention – What are Key Robbery Factors?
- Fast food, quick service, on major thoroughfares, open late at night
- Source of cash, easy access, good escape route, cooperative cashiers
- Interview by Andrew Kragie with the Houston Chronicle newspaper
Podcast Time Stamps:
[00:40] — Introduction by Crime School show host Chris McGoey
[03:58] — Restaurant robbery prevention interview begins with Andrew Kragie
[04:40] — Restaurant robbery prevention – nature of the premises and location
[05:15] — Why do robbers target fast-food and casual restaurants?
[06:25] — Restaurant robbers have a profile and foreseeable method
[07:00] — Restaurant robbery often serial robbers who favor certain chains
[07:45] — Robbers will return to the same chain restaurant after a big score
[08:20] — Robbers like easy access, available cash, and good escape routes
[09:00] — Most robberies in Houston are at highways and major thoroughfares
[11:40] — Restaurant take-over robberies happen less often due to risk
[12:25] — Subway Restaurant is most robbed fast-food chain says Houston PD
[15:20] — Video surveillance cameras should be highly-visible for deterrence
[17:40] — Good cash control practices is critical using a drop safe for large bills
Restaurant Robbery Prevention Security Plan
- Conduct a robbery risk assessment of nature of the restaurant and location
- Partner with local police in property assessment and crime data analysis
- Review robbery history at the location and nearby for trends and patterns
- Evaluate robbery trends by month, day of week, and time of day
- Analyze every robbery incident for method of operation, access, and escape
- Review money handling policies and reduce available cash to minim level
- Use a timed-delay drop safe and immediately deposit all large bills
- Keep a minimum amount of cash on hand at night and let the world know it
- Trained all cashiers in cash handling techniques and enforce high standards
- Use highly-visible video surveillance cameras and signage as a deterrence
- Provide good supervision of seating area, parking lot, and drive-thru lanes
- Train all personnel in restaurant robbery prevention safety and security
Related Restaurant Robbery Prevention Articles and Podcasts
- Fast Food Security – Violent Crime at Quick Service Restaurants
- Armed Robbery and Homicide at Wendy’s
- Armed Robbery and Homicide at Burger King
Learn More about Premises Liability Litigation
Download the book written by Crime School host Chris McGoey.
Evaluating Crime Foreseeability and Inadequate Security Cases.
WANTED: Show Guests with Crime Stories
Are you a property crime victim or violent crime survivor?
- Do you have a business with crime problems to solve?
- Do you have crime or loss prevention programs to share?
- Do you have crime prevention products to review?
- Contact — Chris with your ideas for a show.
- Crime School topics are influenced by your input and scenarios.
- We encourage sharing Crime School content on social media.
- Help Crime School grow with a 5-Star Rating & Review in iTunes.
- Thank you for doing your part in making places safe.